The first half hour of trading saw stock prices tumble on much weaker but buyers quickly came in and supported prices light volume. Despite the positive price action, volume for the SP-500 ETF (SPY) was down -29% less than average, while the Nasdaq 100 (QQQ) and Russell-2k (IWM) exchange traded funds respectively traded on -25% and -28% less than average volume.
Market breadth for the SP-500 components clearly favored the bulls today.
- Advancers (383) vs. Decliners (109).
- New 5-day highs (150) were almost three times the number of New 5-day lows (60)
- New 52-week highs (30) were greater than new 52-week lows (12).
- Bullish reversals (163) led Bearish reversals (22) today.
|SP-500||2102.44||+10.90 / +0.52%|
|Nasdaq-100||4566.37||+35.63 / +0.79%|
|Russell-2k||1225.09||+12.40 / +1.02%|
|VIX||13.02||+0.19 / +1.48%|
|10 Yr Tsy Note Rate||2.15||-0.04 / 1.83%|
|30 Yr Tsy Bond Rate||2.80||-0.04 / -1.41%|
|US Dollar Index||96.81||+0.29 / +0.30%|
|Gold (Cash)||1117.33||+2.72 / +0.24%|
|WTI Crude Oil (Cash)||41.81||-0.66 / -1.55%|
|DJ Real Estate Index||299.27||+2.24 / +0.75%|
|DJ Homebuilders Index||619.04||+12.86 / +2.12%|
Volume Surging Stocks
- Automatic Data Processing Inc. (ADP) @ 84.70 (+2.06%) on 94% volume surge
- Yum! Brands Inc (YUM) @ 85.03 (+1.72%) on 64% volume surge
- TJX Companies Inc (TJX) @ 71.61 (+1.43%) on 58% volume surge
- Health Care Reit Inc (HCN) @ 69.35 (+69.35%) on 55% volume surge
- Pentair Inc (PNR) @ 62.50 (+1.51%) on 50% volume surge
- Estee Lauder (EL) @ 82.80 (-6.78%) on 619% volume surge
- Chevron Corp (CVX) @ 83.23 (-3.21%) on 69% volume surge
- Marathon Oil Grp (MRO) @ 17.40 (-3.44%) on 64% volume surge
Market Moving Events
- Sovereign Debt / Greece: German Chancellor Merkel experessed optimism that the IMF will grant Greece a third bailout once it receives its debt relief.
- Real Estate / USA: The August-2015 Housing Market Index indicated that this ares of the economy continues to show strength with a solid reading @ 61 vs. forecasts @ 61 and prior results @ 60.
- Economy / Manufacturing: The August-2015 Manufacturing Survey Report came in much weaker than expected @ -14.92 vs. forecasts @ 4.75 and previous results @ 3.86.